ELPC and Allies Propose Robust Clean Energy Program for Green Economic Recovery
On January 6, 2009, the Environmental Law & Policy Center and a diverse collection of 33 other groups and companies, including the 25×25 Alliance and key farm groups, proposed a robust and comprehensive suite of clean energy programs for inclusion in the federal economic recovery program that will stimulate job creation.
Summary of the Farm Energy Economic Recovery Program
You can download the full letter here (PDF format). Following is a quick summary of the three-part proposal.
Expand Funding for Farm Bill Energy Title Programs
- Include at least $1.2 billion in additional funding for important Farm Bill Energy Title programs like the Rural Energy for America Program (REAP), Biorefinery Assistance Program, Repowering Assistance and Biomass Crop Assistance Program.
More information on all energy title programs can be found in our Farm Bill Policy section.
Extend and Improve Clean Energy Tax Credits
- Extend the federal Production Tax Credits (PTC) for wind and biomass power for five years.
- Change structure of PTC and investment tax credit (ITC) to make them fully refundable.
- Stimulate 2009 investment by permitting tax credits from new
investments in 2008 and 2009 to be carried back against tax liability
from the past decade.
- Create a level playing field for producers of renewable electricity by modifying the PTC so all renewable sources of electricity will be eligible for the full credit.
Expand Successful Clean Renewable Energy And Conservation Bond Programs
- Extend and expand funding for Clean Renewable Energy Bonds and Qualified Energy Conservation Bonds.
- These bond programs provide PTC-like incentives for electric
cooperatives, public power, and municipalities to build new renewable energy facilities and invest in energy efficiency.
Following is a list of the groups and companies who signed onto the letter:
American Coalition for Ethanol
Association of Consulting Foresters
Association of State Energy Research & Technology Transfer Institutions
Biomass Power Association
Biotechnology Industry Association
Clean Energy First
Environmental and Energy Study Institute
Environmental Law & Policy Center
Forest Landowners Association
Intertribal Council On Utility Policy
National Alliance of Forest Owners
National Association of Forest Service Retirees
National Association of State Energy Officials
National Association of Wheat Growers
National Corn Growers Association
National Farmers Union
National Rural Electric Cooperative Association
National Sorghum Producers
National Wildlife Federation
National Woodland Owners Association
North American Equipment Dealers Association
Pinchot Institute for Conservation
Society of American Foresters
Solar Energy Industries Association
Southern Alliance for Clean Energy
The Farm Credit Council
The Stella Group, Ltd.